My next step was to design, and create the website for Pullinger Engineering. I had previously sketched a few ideas out for the layout of the site, so I started building them into Photoshop. I enjoy playing around with designs in Photoshop, and created a few sites which I found effective, I then showed the designs to my client who helped me pick out the best one. My favorite design was different to that of my client, here is a few screen shots of my favorite design:
However designing the website was the easy part, my next step was to actually build it. Unlike previous projects, I was planning to use WordPress as a content management system, a brand new web technique for me. I had decided to go down this route months ago leading up to this project, so had done some reading into how it works, which gave me some confidence in starting. Using tutorials, and my own knowledge of CSS I managed to create a theme, the design being the one my client picked out. I was very pleased with how this went, barely encountering any problems when doing so.
I then focused on the content of the website, I had planned to use widgets and plug-ins as part of site, which was once again a new area for me. Still, using WordPress, I didn’t find it too difficult, and managed to include a contact form, side bars, and navigation bars which all worked perfectly. I also found an effective plug-in which helped me out of a problem I was in; I was unsure how to remove pages I had created (but still wanted) from my navigation bar. So after a quick search on word press I found an effective plug-in which allowed me to choose which pages I wanted to show, and which I didn’t.
I was pleased with how my website was doing, everything was working well, but I still had a big chunk that was missing, e-Commerce. In hindsight, I should have tried to do this first as I knew it would take the most time, but was worried about starting it. However I still had a lot of time to finish it before my deadline, so I was feeling confident I would do it in time. I started by reading about some e-Commerce plug-ins, to find out which ones would be most beneficial to me. I had a few attempts with different plug-ins which were suitable, but I was having problems with styling and payments. After a while I managed to find one which I thought was perfect, I was able to style it well, and got it up and running with very little fuss. All I had to do then was add all the products and their details to the plug-in. However, once I had done this and it was working perfectly, I encountered a problem; the plug-in didn’t have a category option, which I thought was essential for the website. I was thinking I might have to delete the plug-in and try again with another one, but then I came up with a solution. As well as using the products page from the plug-in I installed, I decided to create different pages for each category. I could then insert a picture and write information about each product, and include an “add to cart” button which will take them to the shopping cart. This worked perfectly and I was very pleased that I had got it all working, all I had to do then was add content and I was finished!